Friday, March 26, 2010

The rails take you places



Trains.

I was obsessed with trains in my youth, always asking mom and dad about them. I liked watching them, riding them, and building model layouts of them. Looking back at the things that make you tick can be such an interesting experience. Now that I am older I am starting to understand what has kept me so mentally invested in trains. It is the process...

When I was young I could watch a model train go in a circle forever and still be amazed. However the older I got the more complex of a toy layout I would demand of myself. During this process Amtrak trains suddenly looked all too common and I started to study European high speed trains and asian mag-lev trains. See while they all accomplish the same thing, I was consumed with the process.

Are there switches? How many? The speed? Capacity? Things that normal people in their free time wouldnt focus on. But for me it was liberating. To be able to see trains switch tracks, or stop at safety signals continued to intrigue me. My most recent poem I wrote was inspired by when I was riding a train from Philadelphia. From start to finish of a train ride you will typically see many different areas up close. I noticed the run down cities and rich office buildings. Each has a story to be told, but we probably will never know it. Well this is just a random post as you can read haha. However please take a look at my Thomas the Tank engine picture I found. (this used to be my favorite show)

B-J-R

No comments: